The first homestead in the community was established around 1816 by Andrew Alldredge, near the spring which now bears his name. The community was named for the family of his wife, Nancy, daughter of Jacob Brooks who came to Blount County from Abbeville, South Carolina around 1818. Andrew's son, Enoch Alldredge, served for 35 years in both houses of the Alabama State Legislature and raised a company of soldiers for the Confederacy in Blountsville in 1862.
In 1999 Pentecostal preacher and defense contractor James Henderson circulated a petition to incorporate the town using the King James Bible as its charter. He gathered more than 200 signatures, but an opposing petition was signed by nearly twice as many people. Henderson's effort was dismissed by a judge.
- Foscue, Virginia O. (1989) Place Names in Alabama. Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama Press. ISBN 081730410X
- Rosin, Hanna (May 20, 1999) "Tiny Alabama Community Wants to Incorporate on Christian Principles: Pentecostal preacher would make the Bible the town's charter." Washington Post