Haskins Williams residence

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The Haskins Williams residence (also called the Signature House) is a Victorian Colonial Revival style house constructed around 1901 for Birmingham Rail & Locomotive Company executive Haskins Williams (1872-1939). The two-story clapboard house was designed by architect Joseph Turner. The house's broad wrap-around porch is supported on wood columns with an ornamented pediment over the wide stairs and a terrace sunken into the roof behind it. The hipped roof holds a hexagonal dormer to light an attic room. The house has two tall brick chimneys and the interior preserves period carved woodwork, fireplaces, light fixtures and a stained glass window in the stair.

The house was still the home of Williams' widow, Bertha until her death in 1975. It was later converted into offices. Malcolm McRae operated his Signature House gallery there until his murder in 1983. In the 1980s the upper floor housed Stuart Cathey Goldsmything. In the 1990s it housed the offices of Black & White alternative newspaper.

The house was included as a contributing structure in the Five Points South Historic District.

In 2016 the house was purchased by J. Clyde founder Jerry Hartley for renovation into a brewpub to be called 5 Points Brewing. The porch will be connected to the existing dining areas at the J. Clyde and the basement will be excavated to make room for a small brewery and beer cellar.

References