- This article is about the commercial building at Five Points South, for the administration building and auditorium at Birmingham-Southern College, see Munger Hall.
The Munger Building is an Art-Deco style commercial building wrapping the southwest corner of 20th Street and 11th Avenue South at Five Points South. The building, completed in 1928, was developed by the heirs of Robert Munger and was designed by Miller & Martin architects. Early designs for the building indicated that the S. H. Kress & Co. was a potential anchor tenant. The facade is decorated with chevrons, rosettes and floral motifs in shallow relief.
In the early 1980s, Bob Moody purchased the building for redevelopment. It was later bought and renovated by John Samford. In 2019 Alchemy owner Ace Graham worked with artist Shane B. to create the mural "Freezing Time" on the retaining wall behind the 11th Avenue side of the Munger Building.
11th Avenue South
- 1915: former location of Apple Books (1980-1984), Lion & Unicorn (1985–1990)
- 1917: former location of Joe (bookstore) (1974-1977), The Darkroom (1980s), Snap & Back photo finishing (1990s)
- 1921: former location of Little Forest (2013)
- 1923: Alchemy, former location of McNolia's
- 1925: former location of iii's
- 1927: Filter Coffee Parlor (2018-), former location of Harmon's Beauty Salon (1928-1931), Madame Husted boutique (1950s), Lawrence Hi-Fi Center (1950s-1960s), Starbucks Coffee (February 2001-2017)
- 1931: Original Pancake House, former location of Martin Flowers (1936-1980s), SouthPoint restaurant (1984-1987), Edgar's Grill (1989)
20th Street South
- Burkhardt, Ann McQuorquodale and Alice Meriwether Bowsher (November 1982) "Town Within a City: The Five Points South Neighborhood 1880-1930." Journal of the Birmingham Historical Society. Vol. 7, Nos. 3-4