Paul Cordes Wilm
Paul Cordes Wilm (born November 17, 1970 in Theodore, Mobile County) is a visual artist, musician, filmmaker, videographer, and writer residing in Birmingham. Wilm and his identical twin brother Peter were the last of five siblings. Wilm moved to Montevallo in 1990 to attend the University of Montevallo. After graduating with a degree in English, Wilm moved to Birmingham to work with the Birmingham AIDS Outreach working with AIDS victims.
Wilm's paintings have been shown at Bare Hands Gallery, Crestwood Coffee and other venues, are regularly exhibited at Naked Art and ArtWalk, and have been featured as cover art on Black & White and Birmingham Weekly newspapers. His style combines pop art with elements of folk art, and has thus been labeled "folk-pop" . His paintings are on display in various spots around Birmingham, including ROJO. Pop artist Andy Warhol and Montgomery folk artist Mose T are cited as infleunces. Wilm has been in various local bands, including Every Alice on Earth, Nowhere Squares and Fred and Daily. He has also directed music videos for the band Enon which have aired on MTV Europe, as well as for Birmingham bands Wray and The Dirty Lungs.
In March, 2012, Wilm's art was featured at ArtFolk Gallery. That collection, entitled "Silent Majority", later was shown at galleries in Mobile and Huntsville.
In August, 2015, Wilm's statue "Forging Ahead" was one of the first two Vulcan replicas unveiled during the opening ceremony of the Vulcans on Parade. In early 2017 Wilm painted a Crestwood mural on the side of Crestwood Tavern. In 2019 he was commissioned for the Don't Ever Stop mural of Mark Lindsey, which is installed at Lindsey Office Furnishings on Morris Avenue.
- Salwart, Jonas (July 1, 2004) Blatant Artist: Paul Cordes Wilm. Interview. Fleabomb.com
- Persons, Seth (July 29, 2009) Paul Cordes Wilm, part one. Interview. Birminghomo blog
- Legg, Catherine (February 9, 2011) "Must see exhibits." Shelby County Reporter
- Lowrey, Emily (March 7, 2012) "Paul Cordes Wilm’s ‘Silent Majority’ opens at Art Folk Gallery on March 9." Magic City Post
- Wake, Matt (August 6, 2012) "Birmingham artist Paul Cordes Wilm featured at Huntsville's Lowe Mill." Huntsville Times
- Lewellyn, Walter (November 20, 2013) "Reinventing Birmingham: Following Warhol's lead, Birmingham's art scene is on the cusp of greatness." Weld for Birmingham
- Yu, Gina (August 26, 2015) "Vulcans on Parade, Unveiled." WBHM 90.3