24th Street South
Twenty-fourth Street South is a north-south street in Birmingham's Southside neighborhood, running from the 24th Street Viaduct over the Railroad Reservation to 10th Avenue South. Between 1st Avenue North and 4th Avenue South, 24th Street is part of U.S. Highway 78. Until the 1970s, 24th Street was also part of U.S. Highway 31 from the viaduct to 7th Avenue South.
Where 24th Street meets 10th Avenue, the road turns east and continues as 10th Avenue for one block. At the next intersection, 10th Avenue turns left (northeast) while the main road continues east as 26th Street South. Another short segment of 24th Street branches from that intersection southeast to 10th Terrace South, just within the Five Points South neighborhood. Another short segment exists as a dead end off 11th Avenue South on the other side of the Elton B. Stephens Expressway, in the Highland Park neighborhood. These two segments, between 10th and 11th, were connected prior to the construction of the expressway.
- For an alphabetical list of locations, see the 24th Street South category.
- Railroad Reservation/24th Street Viaduct (over 1st Avenue South); road continues north as 24th Street North)
- 2nd Avenue South intersection
- 3rd Avenue South intersection
- 4th Avenue South intersection
- 5th Avenue South intersection
- 6th Avenue South intersection
- 7th Avenue South intersection
- West side
- East side
- Birmingham Veterans Administration Primary Care Annex, former location of Steel City Olds and Jim Burke Jaguar
- University Boulevard intersection
- 9th Avenue South intersection
- Southtown Court
- 9th Court South intersection (west only)
- 9th Courth South (northeast)/10th Avenue South (west) intersection (road continues east as 10th Avenue)
|U. S. Highway 31 in Birmingham|
|North side||South side|
|Current route||Carraway Blvd · Elton B. Stephens Expressway||Elton B. Stephens Expressway|
|Previous routes||8th Avenue N · 24th Street N||24th Street S · 7th Avenue S · 20th Street S · 21st Street S|