Moe's Original Bar B Que
Moe's Original Bar B Que is a Vail, Colorado-based chain of barbecue restaurants, with 3 locations in Birmingham.
Moe's Original was formed in 2001 by three Alabamians living in Colorado: Mike Fernandez from Tuscaloosa, Ben Gilbert from Athens, and Jeff Kennedy from Huntsville. The friends met in Tuscaloosa in 1988, and Fernandez had learned how to make barbecue from Tuscaloosa legend Moses Day. By 2000, the three were working in separate restaurants around the Vail, Colorado area, and decided to team up to bring Alabama barbecue to the ski resorts in the area. By 2006, Moe's had 2 successful restaurants in Colorado, a restaurant in Orange Beach, Alabama, and had started a school lunch program in Vail.
In 2007, Kevin and Eric Witherington opened Moe's Original's first Birmingham location in Vestavia Hills. On June 2, 2008, the Witheringtons opened a lunch stand in the Massey Building in downtown Birmingham. In February 2009, a former Golden Rule BBQ location in Hoover was opened as a Moe's Original, and in April Kevin Worthington transformed his Lakeview Oyster House location on 29th Street South into a fourth Birmingham location for the chain.
The Worthingtons closed the downtown location on January 27, 2012. In May 2012, the Hoover location relocated from Lake Crest Plaza to the Patton Creek Shopping Center. In 2013 Moe's opened in Trussville. In 2014 the Vestavia Hills location was moved to a larger space across Rocky Ridge Road.
- 2520 Rocky Ridge Road, Vestavia Hills (January 2014)
- 731 29th Street South, Lakeview (April 2009)
- Patton Creek Shopping Center, suite 201, Hoover (May 2012)
- 163 Main Street, Trussville (2013)
- Massey Building (2025 3rd Avenue North), suite 104, Birmingham (June 2008–January 27, 2012)
- Lake Crest Plaza (2341 John Hawkins Parkway), suite 117, Hoover (February 2009–May 2012)
- 2501 Rocky Ridge Road, Vestavia Hills (2007–January 2014)
- Folse, Molly (n.d.) "Moe’s Original Bar B Que makes its way back to the south." Birmingham Weekly
- Cooper, Lauren B. (April 6, 2009) "Moe's Original Bar B Que opens Lakeview location." Birmingham Business Journal
- Poe, Ryan. (April 11, 2012) "Moe's Original BBQ moving Hoover location to Patton Creek." Birmingham Business Journal
- Buttram, Scott (January 5, 2013) "Moe’s Original Bar B Que coming to Trussville." Trussville Tribune
- Rodriguez, Ana (January 22, 2014) "Moe's Original Bar B Que set to move Vestavia Hills location to larger space by month's end". The Birmingham News
- Moe's Original Bar B Que website