- This article is about the 1989, 32-story building. For the 1976, 18-story building, see Regions Plaza.
The Regions-Harbert Plaza (originally the AmSouth-Harbert Plaza) is a 437 foot tall, 32 story office tower, with adjoining 2-story retail, located at 1901 6th Avenue North, between 19th Street North and 20th Street North. The building, with a total of 613,764 square feet of rentable floor area, includes office, retail, restaurant, and banking space.
Completed in September 1989, the postmodern-style skyscraper was designed by Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum of St Louis with Brasfield & Gorrie serving as the general contractor. The tower was constructed atop a large downtown site that once was occupied in part by both the Temple Theatre and the Downtown YMCA (1911).
The brown granite cladding stretches from its base to the copper-roofed, pyramid-shaped penthouse. The shape of the roof was inspired by the towers of the nearby 1st Methodist Church and Cathedral Church of the Advent. The famous "balls" at the corners of the tower mirror those on the corners of the Advent's tower, and the color of the granite was selected to blend with the colors of that church, which sits directly across 20th Street. The Harbert Center on 4th Avenue North was built at the same time and has a similar style of detailing.
The original anchor for the retail center at AmSouth-Harbert Plaza was a 21,500 square-foot Parisian department store, which relocated from its former downtown flagship on 2nd Avenue North. The store converted to a Belk in 2005. In late July 2008 Belk announced that they would close the location in January 2009. The space was leased for an Adeptio Wellness Center in September 2010.
Regions-Harbert Plaza Retail tenants include:
- Retail center
- Food court
- Office tower
- The Gift: AmSouth Harbert Plaza As Interpreted by Photographer April Johnson (1989). Birmingham. edition of 2000
- Regions-Harbert Plaza at Emporis.com, accessed 29 July 2010. 
- Cooper, Lauren B. (March 3, 2008) "Regions Harbert Plaza sold for $126M." Birmingham Business Journal
- Kent, Dawn (July 31, 2008) "Belk plans to close downtown Birmingham store." The Birmingham News
- Regions-Harbert Plaza - Tenant Links at Regions Harbert Plaza.com, accessed 29 July 2010.