Birmingham VA Medical Center
The Birmingham VA Medical Center is a 313-bed Veterans Administration acute tertiary care hospital located at 700 19th Street South in the Birmingham Medical District on Birmingham's southside. It is affiliated with the UAB Medical Center and University of Alabama at Birmingham. Stacy Vasquez was appointed executive director in May 2019.
The hospital was constructed in 1952 near the University of Alabama School of Medicine's Jefferson-Hillman Hospital, helping expand that facility into a four-block University of Alabama Medical Center.
In August 2009 the Birmingham VA was ranked 8th nationally among VA hospitals for overall quality of care and patient satisfaction. The calculation included a top ranking for inpatient satisfaction and a top ranking in the Southeast for clinical quality measures.
The Birmingham VA Medical Center includes the 32-bed Southeastern Blind Rehabilitation Center. The medical center operates community-based outpatient clinics in Anniston, Bessemer, Childersburg, Decatur, Gadsden, Huntsville, Jasper, and Sheffield, and a Birmingham Vet Center.
In 2014 the General Services Administration approved construction of a $50 million Birmingham Veterans Administration Primary Care Annex and parking deck on the block bounded by 7th Avenue South and University Boulevard between 24th and 25th Street South.
- Hugh Vickerstaff
- Clyde Cox
- Rica Lewis-Payton, 2008-February 2012
- Greg Eagerton (acting), February-August 2013
- Thomas Smith III, August 2013-April 2014
- William Harper (acting), August 2015
- Stacy Vasquez, May 2019-
- Parks, Dave (August 16, 2009) "Birmingham VA Medical Center ranks 8th among nation's VA hospitals." The Birmingham News
- Tomberlin, Michael (September 20, 2013) "$50 million-plus VA medical clinic and parking deck selects Birmingham site, development team." The Birmingham News
- Birmingham VA Medical Center website