It, along with Owenton, was situated on the land granted by the United States to the American Asylum for the Instruction and Education of the Deaf and Dumb in Hartford, Connecticut in 1816, and sold by its agent, William Ely for cash. The subdivision was named for Paul H. Earle, a descendent of pioneer farmer Samuel Earle, whose Earle-Greene plantation had been built in 1824.
The neighborhood, with complete sewers and utility services and graded, curbed streets, was marketed by the Jemison Real Estate & Insurance Co. in the early 1900s. The company highlighted its convenient access from the North Bessemer and South Ensley streetcar lines, and its proximity to the new Elyton School.
Birmingham's Legion Field stadium was built in the northern part of Earle Place in 1927. The western part of the former plantation, including the plantation house, was sold to the United States in 1938 for development of the Elyton Village housing project.