Eubank Mercantile Building
The Eubank Mercantile Building is a 3-story brick commercial building located at 2017 3rd Avenue North.
The lot was already in use as a "Mantel house" by the May & Thomas Hardware Co. when dentist Alfred Eubank built the present building. May & Thomas continued to occupy the ground floor, while Eubank, splitting from his partnership with his brother, George, moved his dental practice to the second floor.
Over the next years the building housed a number of hardware and furniture companies, including the Birmingham Arms & Hardware in 1929, Wallace Furniture in 1937, McCauley's Furniture in 1964, and Amaro-Spencer Furniture and Spencer Furniture in 1984. During the time that the Birmingham Arms & Cycle Co. occupied the ground floor, the upper floor was used for indoor baseball.
James and Tara Bryant purchased the building in 2005 for $800,000. From 2006 until 2008 the ground floor was home to the Hawthorn Gallery. In 2009 the Birmingham Arts Association utilized the gallery space for a juried art show. In 2010 Melissa Kendrick moved her fair-trade shop, Sojourns, from a nearby storefront on 20th Street North to the Eubank Mercantile Building.