Golden Rule Bar-B-Q
Golden Rule Bar-B-Q is a Birmingham-based barbeque chain founded in 1891 in what is now Irondale. The chain is best known for its sauce and pulled pork sandwiches. Its corporate offices are located at 15 Office Park Circle in Mountain Brook's Office Park.
The Golden Rule began in 1891 as a stop for travelers headed toward Atlanta from Birmingham, but also appealed to local residents and became one of the area's well-known gathering places.
By the late 1930s, Jabo and Ellene Williams Stone took over the restaurant, which was still in her family. It was at this time a new building was constructed along the Atlanta Highway where the business would remain through the 1950s. Jabo would construct what would be the restaurant's third location just off U.S. Highway 78 in Irondale before selling the business to Michael Matsos in 1969 for a percentage of sales over 20 years. Matsos constructed a fourth location at the present site of the Irondale location off Interstate 20 in the early 1970s.
By 1973, as part of his agreement with Stone, Matsos opened a second Golden Rule location on what was originally called the "Florida Highway" in Hoover. In 1976 Matsos sold this location to Nick Manikides, who would become the first Golden Rule franchisee.
Another franchisee, Rusty Creel, partnered with Sneaky Pete's Café operators Bob and Mark Lovell to open a Golden Rule on the prominent corner of 29th Street South and Clairmont Avenue in Lakeview in 2006. That location closed in 2010.
- 5600 Messer Airport Highway, Birmingham (Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport)
- 1901 6th Avenue North, Birmingham (Regions Plaza)
- 744 29th Street South, Lakeview Birmingham (2006-November 2010)
- 5060 Academy Drive, Bessemer (opened 2006 - closed 2009)
- 4979 U.S. Highway 31, Calera (closed December 14, 2012)
- 4437 Pinson Valley Parkway, Center Point (closed 2012)
- 4290 Highway 52, Helena
- 740 Brookwood Village, suite 238, Homewood
- 1571 Montgomery Highway, Hoover (1974-, owned by Nick Manakides)
- 3340 Galleria Circle, Hoover (closed 2009)
- 210 Doug Baker Boulevard, Hoover
- 2506 Crestwood Boulevard, Irondale
- 3100 Pelham Parkway, Pelham (owned by Paul Curcio)
- 1700 Martin Street North, Pell City
- 120 South Chalkville Road, Trussville
- Wilkinson, Kaija (February 5, 2006) "2 restaurants debuting in Lakeview." Birmingham Business Journal
- Golden Rule Bar-B-Q History at goldenrulebbq.com - accessed 06 September 2006
- Diel, Stan (March 10, 2011) "Baha Burger may come to Lakeview." The Birmingham News
Golden Rule Bar-B-Q official website