Montevallo High School
|Montevallo High School|
|District||Shelby County Schools|
|Colors||blue & orange|
|Location||980 Oak Street map|
The school first opened in 1906 as a program of the Alabama Girl's Industrial Institute, meeting in a wood-framed building on the later site of the Alice Boyd Building on campus. In 1915 the high school moved into the Jeter Building, and in 1920 occupied its own building on the present site of Palmer Hall, before moving to Reynolds Hall in 1922. It was known as the Alabama College Laboratory School
In January 1930 the central portion of the current school building was completed, with 9 classrooms. The Works Progress Administration constructed side wings on the building by 1940. A gymnasium, later named in honor of long-time teacher Susie DeMent, was added in 1964. The school's football stadium was named for long-time coach Theron Fisher in 1977. In 2006 the field itself was named in honor of Richard Gilliam, who integrated the Bulldogs football team in 1973.
On the evening of April 25, 2023 a large number of young persons were observed vandalizing and trashing the high school. At least 39 were arrested and charged with third-degree burglary and first-degree criminal mischief.
- Slade Blackwell, former Alabama State Senator
- Mark Hall, former Helena Police Department chief
- Beverly Russell, chef/restaurateur
- Tim Tingle, sculptor
- Thornton, William (May 15, 2023) "‘Extensive damage’ in Montevallo High School vandalism leads to 39 people charged." AL.com
- Montevallo High School website