The dealership was founded in 1918 by Reese Adamson. on Birmingham's Southside. With his partners, A. D. Harris and Ralph Howard, Adamson moved the dealership to its present location in the remodeled Grand Theatre in 1937.
In the 1960s, Adamson Ford contracted to repair Birmingham Police Department cruisers.
The company was bought by Edward and John Stivers of St Louis, Missouri in late 2020. In 2021 the company bought the former Virginia College building at The Palisades and announced plans to construct a new automotive center on the site, including a Ford Trustmark showroom featuring the re-imagined Ford Bronco, as well as showrooms for the Vantas and Tiggo vehicles manufactured by the Chinese state-owned manufacturer Chery. The City of Birmingham provided up to $2.1 million in tax incentives for the project.
- Jibrell, Anisa (June 11, 2018) "Staff plans celebrations for dealership's centennial." Automotive News
- "Longtime downtown car dealership under new ownership." (January 27, 2021) Birmingham Business Journal
- Van der Bijl, Hanno (June 11, 2021) "Stivers details plans for car dealership at Palisades." Birmingham Business Journal
- Stivers Ford of Birmingham website