2008 Samford Bulldogs football
The 2008 Samford Bulldogs played their first season of football in the Southern Conference, in NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (formerly known as I-AA), after many seasons as a member of the Ohio Valley Conference. Coach Pat Sullivan lead the Bulldogs to a 6-5 record, after going 4-7 (2-6 in conference play) in 2007, his first season as head coach. Senior quarterback Dante Williams suffered a torn ACL on August 12 which put him out for the season. True freshman Dustin Taliaferro stepped up and led the Bulldogs at the position.
Running back Chris Evans earned a place on the All-Southern Conference football team. Taliaferro was named freshman of the year. Center Jon Weber, linebacker Bryce Smith and safety Andy Davis were named to the conference's second team. Receiver Riley Hawkins joined Taliaferro on the all-freshmen team.
Schedule and results (6-5)
- August 28: Defeated Division II West Georgia 21-19 at Seibert Stadium.
- September 6: Defeated the second-year Faulker Eagles 62-0 before a Seibert Stadium crowd of 6,272.
- September 13: Lost 34-10 to Ole Miss of the SEC in Oxford, Mississippi.
- September 27: Lost 23-17 to Elon at Elon, North Carolina.
- October 4: Won 21-6 to Western Carolina in Cullowhee, North Carolina. Chris Evans rushed for 166 yards and a touchdown in their first Southern Conference win.
- October 11: Lost 35-24 against Appalachian State at Seibert.
- October 25: Defeated The Citadel 28-10 at Seibert.
- November 1: Lost 28-27 to Furman at Seibert. Furman's Kyle McKinney blocked John Paul Fraites' point-after kick with 1:52 left in the game, preventing Samford from tying the game.
- November 8: Defeated Georgia Southern 27-17 in Statesboro, Georgia.
- November 15:Lost 28-7 to Wofford at Seibert.
- November 22: Defeated Chattanooga 30-7 in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
|Samford Bulldogs football
- Morrison, David (August 28, 2008) "Bulldogs plan to use 3 QBs." Birmingham News
- Perrin, Mike (November 2, 2008) "Furman makes one more big play than Samford to edge Bulldogs in a thriller." Birmingham News
- Perrin, Mike (November 25, 2008) "Samford gets four on all-SoCon football team." Birmingham News