List of relocated memorials
This is a list of relocated memorials:
- The grave of William Pullen, the first man buried with "full military honors" in Jefferson County in 1845 remained under an oak tree about 50 yards from the Avondale Streetcar (6th Avenue South) between 34th and 35th Streets long after the other graves in the former family cemetery were obscured by time. His and his wife's remains were moved to Forest Hill Cemetery in 1925, with more than 5,000 people in attendance.
- A cannon from the Spanish-American War was placed on the unused base for the future Confederate Soldiers & Sailors Monument in Capitol Park sometime after the war ended in August 1898. It was removed to another location in the park in advance of the dedication of the 52-foot obelisk in 1905.
- Patrick O'Reilly statue, installed at St Vincent's Hospital in 1904, moved elsewhere at the hospital to accommodate new construction.
- The 1909 Ensley tombstone, a "mock memorial" erected to mourn the loss of Ensley's status as an independent town due to the Greater Birmingham annexation, stood in downtown Ensley for two years before it was removed.
- William Elias B. Davis statue, dedicated at Capitol Park in December 1904. Moved to the grounds of Hillman Hospital in 1957.
- Revolutionary War Veterans Memorial, dedicated in 1912 at Five Points South, moved to Woodrow Wilson Park in 1937.
- Spirit of the American Doughboy, a World War I memorial, installed outside Municipal Auditorium in 1923, moved to the south entrance of Woodrow Wilson Park.
- Sybil Temple, built in 1929 by George Ward at his Vestavia estate on Shades Mountain and intended to serve as his mausoleum. He was not buried there, however, and it was moved to U.S. Highway 31 in 1976.
- Brother Bryan statue, dedicated in 1934 in the center of Five Points South before Brother Bryan's death. Relocated to Vulcan Park in 1966, then back to Five Points, on the sidewalk outside The Mill, in 1983.
- Bessemer veterans memorial, erected in the median of the Bessemer Super Highway in 1940, removed by the Alabama Department of Transportation in 2008 and currently in storage.
- A memorial plaque honoring students from Woodlawn High School who served in World War II was removed during a renovation. It was rediscovered later and installed at the Birmingham VA Medical Center in 2012.
- Hippocrates statue, erected as a memorial to the "Father of Medicine" outside UAB's library in 1970, moved into the building's lobby during expansion of the library in 1996.
- The Alabama Vietnam Veterans Memorial, created in 1989 as a movable monument, was given a "permanent" home at Sportsman Lake Park in Cullman in 2009.
This list is incomplete and may never satisfy any subjective standard for completeness. You can help Bhamwiki by expanding it.