1729 5th Avenue North
Benjamin Roden built his residence on the corner site. He moved away and demolished the house in 1913 to make way for his planned high-rise Roden Hotel. Lack of funds left the proposed building as an open skeleton until the frame was finally dismantled and sold for scrap in 1917.
In the mid 1920s a one-story commercial building of 140 feet by 165 feet was erected on the site. An adjacent 85 x 140-foot lot was used for parking. In the late 1930s the building was used by the Adamson Motor Company.
In 1941 A & P leased the building for what would soon be, according to sales manager W. L. Pratt, the largest food store in Alabama. Miller, Martin & Lewis was hired to design improvements and alterations and the Marbury-Boriss Construction Company performed the work.
The Hugo L. Black Federal Courthouse serving the United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama was constructed over the entire block in 1987.
- "A & P To Build Modern Super Store On Corner Fifth And Eighteenth" (March 1941) Birmingham News - via Birmingham Rewound