December 27 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 1935: A fire damaged the upper floors of Andrews Hall at Birmingham-Southern College.
- 1926: Bessie Smith headlined a show at the Frolic Theater.
- 1896: A Birmingham Mineral Railroad passenger train wrecked on the Cahaba River Bridge in the vicinity of Hargrove. The incident, which killed 22-30 passengers, was blamed on sabotage.
- 1895: McElwain Baptist Church was founded.
- 1888: William Starbuck married Belle Cooper.
- 1886: John Herbert Phillips married Nellie Cobbs.
- 1984: Alabama and NFL football player Le'Ron McClain was born in Indiana.
- 1974: Baseball player Nate Bland was born.
- 1972: Mayor of Tuscaloosa Walt Maddox was born.
- 1959: Hall of Fame linebacker Andre Tippett was born in Birmingham.
- 1953: Lockheed Martin CEO Marillyn Hewson was born in Junction City, Kansas.
- 1933: Pastor James Crutcher was born in Kentucky.
- 2021: Frank Barker, founding pastor of Briarwood Presbyterian Church died.
- 2011: Surgeon William Maddox died.
- 1967: Former Major League outfielder Paul Lehner died in Birmingham.
- 2022: East Carolina defeated Coastal Carolina in the 2022 Birmingham Bowl at Protective Stadium.
- 2012: Head coach Avery Johnson was fired by the Brooklyn Nets.