Alabama House District 54
Alabama State House of Representatives, District 54 covers the Birmingham neighborhoods of Crestline, Central City, Enon Ridge, Fountain Heights, North Avondale, South Avondale, Crestwood, Druid Hills, East Thomas, Forest Park, Kingston, Woodlawn. It also includes most of central Irondale and parts of southern Center Point and western Trussville, along with the unincorporated Grayson Valley area.
In January 2017 the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals found the district to have been redrawn improperly in 2012.
District 54 is represented by Neil Rafferty, who was elected to the seat in 2018.
Candidates for the vacant seat in the 2006 election included Patricia Todd, Kamau Afrika, Emanuel B. Ford, Gaynell Hendricks, and Charlie Williams Jr, all running as Democrats. A runoff between Hendricks and Todd was held on July 18, 2006.
Todd won the runoff by a margin of 59 votes, but the result was not certified due to a challenge filed on behalf of Hendricks. A subcommittee of the Alabama Democratic Party determined that Todd had not filed her campaign finance information as required by a 1974 party rule. However this finding was lambasted by many outside the party who noted that Alabama's 1988 campaign finance law superseded the party rule, and no other candidate had submitted information to the party since the law was passed, including Hendricks.
The Executive Committee of the party rejected the findings of the subcommittee and certified Todd as the candidate for the general election, in which she ran unopposed.
- 1982-1986: George Perdue (1st term)
- 1986-1990: George Perdue (2nd term)
- 1990-1994: George Perdue (3rd term)
- 1994-1998: George Perdue (4th term)
- 1998-2002: George Perdue (5th term)
- 2002-2006: George Perdue (6th term)
- 2006-2010: Patricia Todd (1st term)
- 2010-2014: Patricia Todd (2nd term)
- 2014-2018: Patricia Todd (3rd term)
- 2018–2022: Neil Rafferty (1st term)
- 2022–2026: Neil Rafferty (2nd term)
- Lyman, Bryan (January 21, 2017) "12 Alabama legislative districts ruled unconstitutional." Montgomery Advertiser
- Alabama House District 54 at Ballotpedia.org
- Alabama House District 54 at StatisticalAtlas.com