Bradley Arant Boult Cummings

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Bradley Arant Boult Cummings logo.png

Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP (styled Bradley, formerly styled Bradley Arant) is Birmingham's largest law firm, with offices in Charlotte, North Carolina; Jackson, Mississippi; Washington D.C.; Nashville, Tennessee and Huntsville and Montgomery, Alabama. It is headed by managing partner Dawn Sharff, and its headquarters offices are located at One Federal Place.

1874 ad for Hewitt & Walker
The firm traces its history to the partnership of John Morrow and Goldsmith Hewitt II, which was first formed in 1858, but dissolved when Morrow was elected probate judge and remained idle during Hewitt's service in the Confederate army in the Civil War.

After the war, Hewitt returned to the practice of law and, in 1870, entered into partnership with another Jefferson County native, William Walker Jr in Elyton. The two principals of Hewitt & Walker also participated as partners in the firm of Hewitt, McQueen & Co. in Walker County

The firm moved with the Jefferson County Courthouse to Birmingham and became Hewitt, Walker & Porter with the addition of Mitchell Porter in 1884. Their offices were then located at 2026 1st Avenue North.

John Tillman became a partner in Walker, Tillman & Campbell in 1898, which became Walker, Tillman, Campbell & Morrow with the addition of Hugh Morrow in 1903 and Tillman, Grubb, Bradley & Morrow in 1904. In 1905 the firm's offices were located on the 9th floor of the First National Bank Building.

After William Grubb left in 1909, the firm added Lee Bradley and did business as Tillman, Bradley & Morrow until 1919, when it became Tillman, Bradley & Baldwin.

From 1924 to 1945 the firm was known as Bradley, Baldwin, All & White, recognizing William White and Ernest All as partners. Douglas Arant, who had joined the firm in 1923 and became a partner in 1927 was added to the firm's name in 1945, rendering it White, Bradley, Arant & All. The addition of William Rose expanded the nameplate to White, Bradley, Arant, All & Rose in 1951.

Bradley Arant Rose & White logo.png

From 1963 to 2009 the firm continued as Bradley Arant Rose & White, becoming a limited liability partnership in 1997. On January 1, 2009 Bradley Arant merged with Nashville's Boult Cummings Conners & Berry to form the partnership of Bradley Arant Boult Cummings with more than 360 attorneys. By 2018 the firm employed 531 attorneys, of whom 235 work from Birmingham.

External links