2008 UAB Blazers football team
The 2008 UAB Blazers played the 18th season of football for UAB, their 13th in Division I-A, and their 10th as a member of Conference USA. The team is coached by Neil Callaway, in his second year as head coach. His 2007 squad went 2-10.
The 2008 squad struggled to find wins, but did close out the season with a road win against Central Florida, a team which was ranked nationally at the beginning of the season. The 15-0 win in Orlando was the Blazers' first ever conference game shut out in school history, and featured 5 field goals by Swayze Waters. The Blazers finished with 4 wins and 8 losses, with a 3-5 record in C-USA play.
Results (4-8, 3-5)
- August 30: Lost 45-22 against C-USA rival Tulsa at Legion Field. The Blazers led 22-21 at the half.
- September 6: Lost 49-34 to Florida Atlantic in Ft Lauderdale, Florida.
- September 13: Lost 35-3 to SEC team Tennessee in Knoxville, Tennessee.
- September 20: Defeated Alabama State University 45-10 at Legion Field. World champion food eater Takeru Kobayashi won the Krystal Square Off at the stadium before the game, finishing 89 hamburgers in 8 minutes.
- September 27: Lost 26-13 to South Carolina in Columbia, South Carolina
- October 2: Lost 33-30 to Memphis at Legion Field (Battle for the Bones).
- October 9: Lost 45-20 to Houston in Houston, Texas. The Blazers led 20-3 at halftime.
- October 18: Defeated Marshall 23-21 at Legion Field.
- November 1: Lost 70-14 to Southern Mississippi in Hattiesburg, Mississippi.
- November 15: Defeated Tulane 41-24 in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- November 22: Lost 17-13 to East Carolina at Legion Field.
- November 29: Defeated Central Florida 15-0 in Orlando, Florida. Swayze Waters kicked 5 field goals, and UAB recorded its first shut out during conference play in 10 seasons.
|UAB Blazers football