Hill's Food Stores

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Hill's logo.jpg
Hill-PigglyWiggly.png
1960 Hill's logo.png

Hill's Food Stores (or Hill Grocery Company) was a chain of grocery stores founded in Birmingham in 1911.

The chain was marketed alongside Piggly Wiggly in the 1930s.

Golden Flake potato chips were created by Magic City Foods, located in the basement of the original Hill's.

In the early 1960s, the company's offices moved to the former Continental Gin Company building, renamed the Hill Building at 4500 5th Avenue South. Shortly afterward, though, the chain was bought by Jacksonville, Florida-based Winn-Dixie. Initially the stores kept their names, selling Winn-Dixie meat and other products under the Hill's nameplate. By the end of the decade the transition to all Winn-Dixie Supermarkets was completed.

Locations

Interior of the Five Points South store in 1949. Photograph by Charles Preston

External links