Jump to navigation Jump to search
August 9 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2013: Roy Williams radio program debuted on WAGG-AM.
- 2012: The Barber of Birmingham premiered on PBS.
- 2011: The Public Athletic, Cultural and Entertainment Facilities Board was incorporated to build Regions Field.
- 2011: Ollie Irene opened in the Mountain Brook Shopping Center.
- 2010: Homewood City Council president Jeff Underwood resigned for health reasons.
- 2002: A topping out ceremony was held for the downtown tower One Concord Center.
- 1978: Jefferson Starship performed at the BJCC Coliseum.
- 1846: William Browne married the former Margaret Elizabeth Stevens of Tuscaloosa.
- 1814: The Treaty of Fort Jackson ceded much of Alabama's Creek Indian territory to the United States.
- 1974: Entertainer Michael Saab was born.
- 1941: Makeup artist Way Bandy was born Ronald Duane Wright in Birmingham.
- 1926: Developer Everett Shepherd Jr was born.
- 1921: Town & Gown Theatre founder James Hatcher was born in Enterprise, Coffee County.
- 1863: Theater owner Jake Wells was born in Memphis, Tennessee.
- 2018: Rocco & Cheater's Speed Shop owner Domenic Sanfilippo died.
- 2017: Former Alabama Supreme Court justice Janie Shores died in Baldwin County.
- 1980: Rockabilly/soul singer Jerry Woodard died on St Simon's Island, Georgia.
- 1969: Birmingham native and internationally-known hair stylist Jay Sebring was shot along with Sharon Tate by the Manson family in Los Angeles.
- 1926: Former Jefferson County Treasurer William Hickman died at his home in Trussville.