August 1 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2018: Paul Erwin became the Dean of the UAB School of Public Health.
- 2013: Carrigan's Public House opened on Morris Avenue.
- 2011: Sweet Tea Restaurant opened on 3rd Avenue South.
- 2009: First Avenue Rocks, an indoor rock climbing facility, opened on 1st Avenue South.
- 2006: New Vision Television purchased WIAT 42 from Media General.
- 2006: University of Montevallo president Robert McChesney Sr retired.
- 2006: William Leggett became pastor of the Unitarian Universalist Church of Birmingham.
- 2002: The third annual Furnace Fest began at Sloss Furnaces.
- 1997: Regal Cinemas purchased Cobb Theatres.
- 1988: Virginia Algermissen became director of UAB's Lister Hill Library.
- 1981: MTV debuted with Alan Hunter as one of its five original VJs.
- 1961: Civil Rights activist Fred Shuttlesworth moved to Cincinnati to become pastor of Revelation Baptist Church.
- 1950: Tinsley Harrison was made acting dean of the Medical College of Alabama.
- 1945: The USS Birmingham returned to service with the 5th fleet after repairs at Pearl Harbor.
- 1944: Roy Kracke assumed duties as the first dean of the Medical College of Alabama.
- 1937: Ed Norton and Thad Holt purchased the lease for the WAPI-AM radio station.
- 1919: The Birmingham Branch of the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta first opened in the Jefferson County Bank Building.
- 1916: The 1916 Birmingham street tax went into effect.
- 1905: Birmingham Fire Department Chief Thad Mullin resigned.
- 1988: Singer-songwriter Ryan Kinder was born.
- 1988: Convicted criminal Lakendall Sims was born.
- 1980: Mortgage banker and political candidate Chris Salter was born in Houston, Texas.
- 1974: Reverend Rodney Franklin was born in Chicago, Illinois.
- 1920: Ross Gray, Medal of Honor recipient, was born in Marvel.
- 1882: Hotelier Robert Meyer was born in Montgomery.
- 1856: Physician Benjamin Wyman was born in Tuscaloosa.
- 2006: Demolition of the Homewood Gardens Apartments began for the development of Hallman Hill.
- 1903: Holt Furnace was blown in.
- 2009: Alabama Warriors defeated Panhandle Crusaders 37-7 at Warrior Stadium.
- 2009: Birmingham Wildfire defeated Pensacola Lightning 30-3 at Legion Field.
- 2000: Legion Field was announced as the home for an XFL team.
- 1941: Pitcher Satchel Paige returned to the East-West All Star Game after a 5-year absence.