August 24 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2018: Grand opening and ribbon-cutting ceremony for the UAB Collat School of Business building.
- 2014: Birmingham Police Chief A. C. Roper was promoted to Major General of the U.S. Army Reserve.
- 2012: North Tavern opened in Grayson Valley.
- 1999: Liberty Park Elementary School opened to students.
- 1949: Wenonah Vocational and Trade School was founded.
- 1911: Voters in Birmingham chose strictly-regulated saloons over local prohibition in a referendum.
- 1875: Widower Charles Linn married Fanny Clark.
- 1983: Baseball player Alan Johnson was born.
- 1977: Novelist John Green was born in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- 1974: Professional angler Aaron Martens was born.
- 1968: Alabama State Senate Majority Leader Zeb Little was born in Cullman.
- 1964: Musician Oteil Burbridge was born.
- 1964: Racecar driver David Bonnett was born.
- 1930: Attorney and politician John Grenier was born in New Orleans.
- 1918: Prosthetist Marion Yester was born in Birmingham.
- 1917: Chemist and environmental activist Bob Burks was born in LaGrange, Georgia.
- 1881: Fred McDuff, Birmingham Police Chief and Jefferson County Sheriff, was born in Birmingham.
- 1869: Tennessee Coal, Iron & Railroad Company president George Crawford was born in Madison, Georgia.
- 2009: Britling Cafeteria chain owner John Holcomb Jr died.
- 2006: UAB dean William Bridgers died.
- 1977: Country singer Happy Wilson died in Nashville, Tennessee.