2021 Birmingham municipal election
The 2021 Birmingham municipal election is a municipal election that will be held on August 24, 2021 to fill the positions of Mayor of Birmingham and all nine seats on the Birmingham City Council and Birmingham Board of Education.
It will be the third concurrent ballot for Mayor and City Council after the election cycle for Mayor was changed by state law in 2010. The official qualification period for candidates is between June 25, 2020 and July 10, 2021. Runoff elections, if necessary, will be held on October 5, 2021. The certification / canvassing of election results will occur on August 31, 2021.
The 2021 Birmingham municipal election will be held before the 2020 census-directed redistricting.
- Randall Woodfin (incumbent)
- William Bell
- Cerissa A. Brown
- E. Philemon Hill
- Lashunda Scales
- Darryl Williams
- Chris Woods
- Napoleon Gonzalez
Board of Education
Note: Where a candidate's nickname is present, that is how their name was shown on the ballot.
Randall Woodfin announced his re-election campaign for the Mayor's office on August 25, 2020 and held a campaign kick-off event on January 30 at George Ward Park. Steven Hoyt, current District 8 representative, and Darryl Williams, announced their bids for the Mayor's office during the week of August 24, 2020. Chris Woods announced his candidacy on January 13, 2021, followed by Lashunda Scales on Martin Luther King Jr Day, January 18. Former mayor William Bell confirmed his intention to run on February 2. Cerissa Brown formally announced her candidacy for Mayor at Legion Field on February 13. E. Philemon Hill entered the race in May.
A "Mayoral Town Hall Debate" sponsored by the Jefferson County Millennial Democrats and moderated by Dana Woodruff was held at the Lit in 8th nightclub on June 24. Woodfin, Scales, Bell and Woods were invited to participate.
- Wright, Barnett (September 8, 2020) "Randall Woodfin raises $270K – in one week – for second term as Birmingham Mayor" The Birmingham Times
- Committee to Elect Randall Woodfin. Campaign Finance Report Filings. Jefferson County Probate Court (August–October 2020)
- John Hilliard. Campaign Finance Report Filings. Jefferson County Probate Court (September–October 2020)
- Garrison, Greg (January 13, 2021) "Chris Woods runs for mayor, blames Woodfin for ‘riots’." The Birmingham News
- Taylor, Drew (January 18, 2021) "Jefferson County Commissioner Lashunda Scales running for mayor of Birmingham." CBS42.com
- Prickett, Sam (February 9, 2021) "Candidates Lining Up to Run for Birmingham City Council." BirminghamWatch
- Prickett, Sam (February 16, 2021) "Field of Candidates for Birmingham Mayor Continues to Grow." BirminghamWatch
- Prickett, Sam (May 18, 2021) "New Challengers Enter Birmingham City Elections." BirminghamWatch
- Wright, Barnett & Carter Dewees (June 24, 2021) "Poll: Woodfin Has Commanding Lead in 2021 Birmingham Mayor’s Race" The Birmingham Times
- Prickett, Sam (June 28, 2021) "Birmingham Elections Begin Officially as Candidates File Qualifying Papers." BirminghamWatch
- Martin, Virginia (July 10, 2021) "Birmingham Elections Ballot Set." BirminghamWatch