Samford University is a private, coeducational, Baptist-affiliated university located in Shades Valley, on Lakeshore Drive in the City of Homewood. The school was founded as Howard College in Marion in 1841 and moved to East Lake in 1887, before building a new campus in the 1950s. In 1965 the school was re-named "Samford University" to honor benefactor and trustee Frank Park Samford.
Samford has a student enrollment of approximate 5,509 for the 2017-2018 academic year. In 2007, Samford was reclassified from the master's degree institutions in the U.S. News & World Report rankings of America's Best Colleges to the doctoral research university category, the only private institution in Alabama so ranked. 
- 1 History
- 2 Campus
- 3 Organization
- 4 Student life
- 5 Media
- 6 Athletics
- 7 Notable alumni and faculty
- 8 External links
- 9 References
Howard College was approved in November 1841 by the Alabama Baptist State Convention, meeting in Talladega. It was chartered on December 29 of the same year in Marion. The name, apparently, was chosen to honor British social reformer John Howard, though he had no direct connection to the college or its founders.
In 1887 the school, with six faculty members, relocated to the East Lake area of Birmingham between 77th Street and 78th Street facing Underwood Avenue (which is now 2nd Avenue South). Then-president I. T. Murfee decided not to move with the school and instead founded the Marion Military Institute on the former Howard campus. The new campus welcomed its first class of 157 students to temporary quarters on October 1, 1887 and began in earnest to construct a suitable campus.
The central part of Howard's campus was dominated by the Old Main building, completed in 1891, which backed up to 4th Avenue South. An elliptical path was inscribed in the main quadrangle with the large Sherman Oak occupying a privileged spot near the center. Berry Field was constructed behind the Old Main for athletic contests. Other buildings on the East Lake Campus included Riley Hall and its annex, Renfroe Hall, Montague Hall, Townes Hall, Science Hall, Causey Gym, an amphitheater, bookstore, post office, and the "Pine Lodge".
Women were first admitted to Howard College on a provisional basis from 1895 to 1897. The college officially became coeducational in 1913. One year later the school established its Teacher Education Division. In 1920 the school joined the Southern Association of Colleges and in 1927 it added a pharmacy school.
Under the leadership of President Harwell Goodwin Davis the college looked to relocate again and on June 11, 1953 Howard College broke ground on its third campus, on land deeded to it by Jefferson County in Shades Valley just south of Birmingham. The school moved into its new campus in 1957.
In 1965 Howard reinstituted its master's degree program. This led to the college's elevation to university status on November 9, 1965. The school was renamed in honor of Frank Park Samford, chairman of the Board of Trustees and to that time, the institution's most generous individual benefactor, because there was already a Howard University in Washington, D.C..
The Ida V. Moffett School of Nursing, owned by the Baptist Medical Center of Birmingham, was added to the University in 1973. In 1988, the Beeson School of Divinity was established through donations from Ralph W. Beeson. In 2008, the School of Business was named Brock School of Business in honor of retired banker Harry Brock Jr.
On January 29, 2004, in his Founder's Day Address, then-President Thomas E. Corts announced a multi-year improvement plan called, "The Promise." According to Dr. Corts, "Samford University will be an academically vigorous Christian university that coordinates a strong, effective educational program and encouragement of Christian belief and service, within a community that respects its individual members and encourages each to highest and best levels of performance and conduct -- academically, socially, spiritually, physically."
The plan formally closed on September 30, 2007. Since June 1, 2003 more than $55 million was contributed in philanthropic gifts toward the campaign by Samford alumni and friends. 
The college -- and now University -- is presently located approximately 5 miles south of downtown Birmingham in Homewood's Shades Valley area. The campus lies along Lakeshore Drive in Homewood, just 2 miles from Interstate 65.
Besides its lush lawns and well-maintained gardens, Samford boasts one of the most distinctive examples of Georgian style architecture in the United States. Samford's uniform style, based upon Colonial Williamsburg, was the vision of President Harwell Davis when he moved the campus to the Shades Valley area in 1953-55.
Today, that vision is maintained in each new building project, even if the project in question would not have been possible in the time-period of the style (as with the new Hanna Arena).
Board of Trustees
Samford University, as a private corporation, is wholly governed by an independent, self-perpetuating Board of Trustees. The Board appoints the President of the University, who serves as chief executive officer. The Board is comprised of its regular members and the President.
Andrew Westmoreland is the current President of Samford University. Appointed by the Board of Trustees, he is the chief executive officer of the university, and serves only at the pleasure of the Board. Prior to his taking office on June 1, 2006, Westmoreland served as president of Ouachita Baptist University in Arkadelphia, Arkansas.
- See List of Samford University presidents for a complete listing.
Colleges and schools
Samford University is currently divided into degree-granting units. These include the Howard College of Arts and Sciences, Brock School of Business, Metro Programs, Orlean Bullard Beeson School of Education and Professional Studies, Samford University School of the Arts, Ida V. Moffett School of Nursing, McWhorter School of Pharmacy, Beeson School of Divinity, and Cumberland School of Law. Each division is headed by a dean. The divisions of the university (and their current heads) are:
Howard College of Arts and Sciences - David W. Chapman
Brock School of Business - Beck A. Taylor
Beeson School of Divinity - Timothy F. George
Orlean Bullard Beeson School of Education and Professional Studies - Jean A. Box
Cumberland School of Law - Judge John L. Carroll
Ida V. Moffett School of Nursing - Nena F. Sanders
School of the Arts - Joseph Hopkins
McWhorter School of Pharmacy - Bobby G. Bryant
As of fall 2010, the university had a total enrollment of 4,715, made up of 2,938 undergraduate students and 1,777 graduate and professional students. This was a new enrollment record, surpassing the previous one of 4,658 set in 2009.
As of fall 2010, approximately 46% of the total student body comes from Alabama, 14% from Georgia, 12% from Tennessee, and 6% from Florida.  Figures from 2008 stated that just over 85% of Samford's students are caucasian, and about 7% are African American. About 10% of Samford students are minorities, and 40% are male. 
Samford students are encouraged to select from more than 100 honors, religious, professional, educational, service and social student organizations. These groups, overseen by the Office of Student Involvement, offer Samford students an opportunity to explore their interests with like-minded individuals.
Samford's diversity of programming runs the gamut from a student-led group of Amnesty International, a human-rights activist organization, to the Samford Young Life chapter, an Evangelical Christian group.
As of fall 2007, 32% of the undergraduate student body was affiliated with one of 12 social Greek organizations. Specifically, 23% of men were members of fraternities and 36% of women were members of sororities.
The local chapters are supported by active alumni bases that continue to involve former active members in both the life of the social organization and the life of the University. Many members of Samford's administration, along with several notable alums, were members of Greek organizations.
The fraternities represented on campus are Sigma Chi (first chartered on campus in 1872, rechartered 1984), Sigma Nu (1879), Lambda Chi Alpha (1911), Pi Kappa Phi (1925, 1991), Sigma Phi Epsilon (1930, 1997), Kappa Alpha Psi (1998), and Alpha Phi Alpha (2000).
The sororities represented on campus are Alpha Delta Pi (1910), Phi Mu (1924), Zeta Tau Alpha (1933), Chi Omega (1963), Alpha Kappa Alpha (1989), Alpha Omicron Pi (1995) and Delta Sigma Theta (1995). 
Unmarried undergraduates 20 years of age and under are required to reside in university housing, unless they live at home with a parent or guardian. Undergraduate students who are at least 20 years old, who have resided in campus housing for four academic terms (fall and spring terms), and who possess a 2.8 grade point average may petition the Office of Residence Life for permission to reside off campus. 
Publications at Samford include:
- Seasons, the alumni magazine, published quarterly by the Office of Communication.
- The Belltower, the online publication for alumni and friends, published once per month during the summer and weekly during the academic year by the Office of Communication.
- Inside Samford is the newsletter for university employees, published ten times each year by the Office of Communication.
- The Samford Crimson, the student-run, campus-wide newspaper. With a circulation of 4,000, it is available free to all students and is distributed at key locations on campus.
- Cumberland Law Review  whose members are selected by write-on from the top 15% of the Cumberland School of Law's first-year class to write articles and comments on newly decided cases and recently passed laws.
- The American Journal of Trial Advocacy , also published by the Cumberland School of Law, which is a national journal focusing on developments in trial law, technique, and practice.
- The Beeson Journal is published annually by the Beeson School of Divinity.
- International Journal of Pharmacy Education and Practice is a peer-reviewed internet based journal published by the McWhorter School of Pharmacy.
- Exodus magazine is published by journalism majors from Samford's Howard College of Arts and Sciences.
Samford's intercollegiate athletics teams are nicknamed the Bulldogs, and the team is represented by a costumed bulldog called "Spike". The school's colors are red and blue.
Samford fields teams in 17 varsity sports (8 men's and 9 women's) . Men's sports include football, basketball, indoor track and field, outdoor track and field, cross-country, golf, tennis and baseball. Women's sports include soccer, basketball, indoor track and field, outdoor track and field, cross-country, golf, tennis, softball and volleyball. Beginning in 2008, the school will become a member of the Southern Conference, which is headquartered in Spartanburg, South Carolina. From 2003 to 2007 Samford was a member of the Ohio Valley Conference, based in Brentwood, Tennessee.
Pete Hanna Center
The Pete Hanna Center opened in 2007. The 132,000-square foot multipurpose facility is the largest single construction project in Samford history. The 5,000-seat Thomas E. and Marla H. Corts Arena for basketball and volleyball is the centerpiece, with a capacity of 6,000 for concerts, graduation ceremonies and other programs with floor seating.
Originally opened in 1959, the lower floor played host to Samford basketball until the main gym was added in 1961. At that time, the basketball teams moved upstairs and used the facility for the past 41 years. It has been home to Samford volleyball since 1987. It was replaced by the Corts Arena in Fall 2007.
Seibert Hall is also named for F. Page Seibert, who donated the money for the completion of the upper floors. It was the largest donation at the time to then-Howard College.
In the spring of 2000, the Bulldogs baseball team opened its newly-remodeled Joe Lee Griffin Field. Renamed Joe Lee Griffin Stadium, the 1,000-seat facility, constructed in Samford's Georgian-Colonial style, is complete with the baseball offices and locker room housed in the facility. A newly constructed pressbox will be used for the first time in the 2008 season.
- Darwin C. Hardison Tennis Center
- Bulldog Soccer Field, across Lakeshore Drive from the main campus
- Lady Bulldog Softball Field
Notable alumni and faculty
Samford University graduates number more than 50,000 in 164 years. Today, the Alumni Association counts more than 27,000 graduates among its membership. Some of those who have achieved particular note are:
- Bobby Bowden (1953) College Football Hall of Fame coach
- John Buchanan Jr, former U.S. Representative
- R. Albert Mohler Jr (1982) president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville.
- John Crist (2006), stand-up comic
- Francois Coutu (1981) pharmacy executive
- Deidre Downs (2002), Miss America 2005
- David Fleming (1994), CEO of REV Birmingham
- Wayne Flynt (1961), historian and distinguished professor at Auburn University
- Tony Hale (1992), actor
- Susan Pace Hamill (2002), author
- Andrew Gerow Hodges (1942) former executive vice-president of Liberty National Life Insurance Company
- Mark Kelly (1984), author and publisher
- Danner Kline (2000), beer lobbyist
- Don Lupo, director of the Birmingham Mayor's Office of Citizens Assistance
- Randy Marsh (1970), co-founder of Birmingham Festival Theatre
- Lisa Mason (1992), radio personality
- Amanda Tapley, Miss Alabama 2008
- Melinda Toole, Miss Alabama 2006
- Samford University
- Samford Bulldogs Athletics
- Ohio Valley Conference
- Southern Conference
- Alabama Baptist Convention
- "Samford University." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. 10 Jul 2006, 04:37 UTC. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. 10 Jul 2006 .
- History of Samford at Samford.edu
- Samford University Student Handbook. Birmingham, Alabama: Samford University, 2005.
- DeButts, Jimmy. (September 24, 2009). "Samford sets enrollment record." Birmingham Business Journal.
- Piper, Ben. (September 21, 2010). "Samford University posts record enrollment." Birmingham Business Journal.