April 17 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2004: Birmingham Steeldogs 54, Arkansas Twisters 40 at Little Rock.
- 1991: The Southern Baptist Convention Sunday School Board placed a stone marker at the site of O'Brien's Opera House, where the group had been organized in 1891.
- 1983: Denver Gold 9, Birmingham Steeldogs 7
- 1927: Former Birmingham Baron Sammy West made his Major League debut with the Washington Senators.
- 1901: Third Presbyterian Church's building and rectory were destroyed by fire.
- 1814: Andrew Jackson established a headquarters at Fort Jackson and accepted the surrenders of Indian leaders.
Births and deaths
- 2014: Retired Birmingham Police Department Sergeant Betty Jensen died.
- 2011: Former University of Alabama President Andrew Sorensen died.
- 1992: Western swing bandleader Hank Penny died in Camarillo, California.
- 1961: Broadway star Rebecca Luker was born in Helena.
- 1947: Architect and artist Frank Hartley Anderson died in Habersham County, Georgia.