April 8 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2008: Cordray Parker's "Stough Cross" was dedicated at Carpenter House.
- 2006: The 4th annual Writer's Block graffiti event was held at Sloss Furnaces.
- 2005: Eric Robert Rudolph made a plea agreement with the U. S. Department of Justice.
- 2004: Loretta Nall was nominated for Governor of Alabama by the Libertarian Party.
- 2004: National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice testified before the 9/11 Commission.
- 1998: The 1998 Oak Grove tornado killed 32 in western Jefferson County and destroyed Oak Grove High School.
- 1990: Construction began on the new John Carroll Catholic High School on Lakeshore Parkway.
- 1976: The Temple of Sibyl was rededicated at its present location at the northern end of Vestavia Hills on U. S. Highway 31 during the Vestavia Hills Dogwood Festival.
- 1972: The newly-renovated Vulcan Park was dedicated.
- 1957: A deadly tornado hit Walker County.
- 1951: An exhibition of paintings marking the inauguration of the Birmingham Museum of Art opened at Birmingham City Hall.
- 1911: 128 miners were killed in the 1911 Banner Mine explosion.
- 1861: Josiah Gorgas was appointed Chief of Ordinance for the Confederate Army.
- 1858: J. J. Jolly married the former Susan Richardson.
- 1980: Police officer Josh Newman was born in Clanton.
- 1967: Angela Wells was born.
- 1950: Basketball coach Jimmy Tillette was born in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- 1939: Alabama Power CEO Elmer Harris was born in Chilton County.
- 1888: Architect David O. Whilldin was born in Philadelphia, Pennsyvania.
- 2007: Former Banks High School principal Sid Ingram died in Huntsville.
- 2003: Photographer Spider Martin died at home in Blount Springs.
- 2002: Former Birmingham Stallions owner Marvin L. Warner died in Cape Canaveral, Florida.
- 2001: Grocer Jimmy Hill died from injuries from a beating by 4 teens the day before.
- 1957: Actress Dorothy Sebastian died in Los Angeles, California.
- 1927: Horace DeVaughan, convicted murderer, was executed at Kilby Prison.
- 1906: Powell School principal Mary Cahalan died.
- 2006: Birmingham Steeldogs 41 - Everett Hawks 36 in the season opener at the BJCC.
- 2003: The Alabama Slammers were eliminated from the WHA2 playoff.
- 2001: New York/New Jersey Hitmen 22 - Birmingham Thunderbolts 0, at Legion Field on the last day of the only XFL season.
- 1991: Montreal Machine 23 - Birmingham Fire 10 at Montreal.
- 1988: Craig Grebeck tied a Birmingham Barons record with 3 home runs in a single game.