November 9 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2011: The Jefferson County Commission voted to file for Chapter 9 bankruptcy.
- 2010: Phyllis Wyne was elected president of the Birmingham Board of Education.
- 2006: Bottletree opened in Avondale.
- 2001: Shelia Smoot's contract with WBRC 6 ended without being renewed.
- 1994: Senator Richard Shelby switched his party affiliation.
- 1943: Brookhaven Methodist Church in Powderly was destroyed by fire.
- 1821: Isreal Pickens succeeded Thomas Bibb to become the third Governor of Alabama.
- 1816: William Wyatt Bibb's term as a U.S. Senator ended.
- 1813: Andrew Jackson adopted the Creek child, named Lyncoya, after the Battle of Talladega.
- 1988: Baseball player Ross Wilson was born in Hoover.
- 1978: Baseball player Jason Standridge was born in Clay.
- 1973: Baseball player Brett Taft was born in Hueytown.
- 1943: Jefferson County Medical Examiner Robert Brissie was born in Woodruff, South Carolina.
- 1924: Jefferson County Sheriff Mel Bailey was born.
- 1906: Insurance executive and Birmingham City Council member Liston Corcoran was born.
- 1867: Physician Arthur Brown was born in Raleigh, North Carolina.
- 1866: Attorney and Alderman Robert Thach was born in Athens.
- 2013: Jefferson County Medical Examiner Robert Brissie died.
- 2013: Sportscaster Dave McDaniel died in a one-car accident on Mulga Loop Road.