UAB School of Medicine
A University of Alabama Extension Center opened in Birmingham in 1936. The medical program was formalized as a four-year medical college by order of Governor Chauncey Sparks in 1943. Roy Kracke was appointed as the first dean of the school a year later, and oversaw the relocation of the program to Birmingham's Medical Center in 1945.
The Medical College was merged with the Extension Center in 1966 to form the present University of Alabama in Birmingham, under the auspices of the University of Alabama System. The name of the school was changed to the University of Alabama School of Medicine by Act of Alabama 1969-1054, which became law on September 12, 1969.
As part of UAB, the School of Medicine has been recognized as a leading research and treatment center. Currently, the UAB School of Medicine has 790 graduate students and 1,087 post-graduate residents and 211 research fellows, along with 1,649 faculty members across 27 academic departments and 40 multidisciplinary centers and institutes. It operates in conjunction with the UAB Medical Center ("University Hospital") and with a its affiliates, including Children's Hospital, the Birmingham VA Medical Center, and Ascension St Vincent's.
- Roy R. Kracke, 1944-1950
- Tinsley R. Harrison (Acting), 1950-1951
- James J. Durrett, 1951-1955
- Robert C. Berson, 1955-1962
- S. Richardson Hill, Jr., 1962-1968
- Clifton K. Meador, 1968-1973
- James A. Pittman, Jr., 1973-1992
- Charlie W. Scott (Interim), 1992-1993
- Harold J. Fallon, 1993-1997
- William B. Deal (Interim), 1997
- William B. Deal, 1997-2004
- Robert R. Rich, 2004-2010
- Ray L. Watts, 2010-2013
- Anupam Agarwal (Interim), 2013
- Selwyn M. Vickers, 2013-
- McWilliams, Tennant S. (2007) New Lights in the Valley: The Emergence of UAB. Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama Press ISBN 0817315462
- DeButts, Jimmy (November 9, 2008) "UAB medical school name change riles alumni" Birmingham Business Journal
- "University of Alabama School of Medicine" (September 19, 2017) Wikipedia - accessed January 17, 2018