May 27 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2015: Alabama Power Company's "Alabama NewsCenter" launched.
- 2009: The Coffee Shoppee opened in Five Points West.
- 2004: Former governor Don Siegelman was indicted on federal bid-rigging charges.
- 2001: The Alabama Veterans Memorial Park was dedicated.
- 1973: A deadly tornado crossed seven counties, leveling Brent in Bibb County.
- 1976: The American Freedom Train arrived in Birmingham.
- 1957: The Roma Country Club in Homewood was incorporated.
- 1942: Torchmark founder Frank Samford Jr married Virginia Carolyn Suydam.
- 1937: Stanleigh Malotte began his tenure as house organist at the Alabama Theatre.
- 1929: The 1929 Connelsville Mine explosion claimed 10 lives.
- 1929: Denny Chimes dedicated at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa.
- 1917: A deadly tornado outbreak killed more than 30 people and caused $1,000,000 in property damage across central Alabama.
- 1915: The last graduating class of the Birmingham Medical College received its diplomas.
- 1957: Navy nurse and educator Carol Hendrickson was born in Jacksonville, Florida.
- 1950: News anchor and actor Carl Spurlock was born in Birmingham.
- 1942: Minister and accountant Ed Henson was born in Clay County.
- 1909: Baseball player and manager Mike "Pinky" Higgins was born in Red Oak, Texas.
- 1885: Birmingham Barons owner Gus Jebeles was born in Geraki of Lakonia, Greece.
- 1846: Banker William Berney was born in Montgomery.
- 2014: Birmingham Fire and Rescue Service chief Ivor Brooks died.
- 2008: Basketball coach Willie Scoggins died.
- 2004: Bioethicist John C. Fletcher Jr drowned himself in Keswick, Virginia.
- 1983: Asa Rountree Jr, former Director of the Alabama Department of Aeronautics, died.
- 1948: William Oliver, U.S. Representative, died while visiting New Orleans.
- 1929: 10 miners were killed in the 1929 Connelsville Mine explosion.
- 1899: Elyton Land Company engineer William Barker died in Birmingham.
- 1895: Former congressman Goldsmith Hewitt II died in Birmingham.
- 2015: The 2015 Rickwood Classic was held at Rickwood Field.
- 2007: Vanderbilt won the 2007 SEC Baseball Tournament at Regions Park.
- 2006: Birmingham Steeldogs 71 - Macon Knights 30 at the BJCC Arena.
- 1979: Alabama Vulcans 18 - Oklahoma Mustangs 0 at Oklahoma City.
- 1955: First baseman Norm Zauchin set Red Sox records by driving in 10 runs in a single game.