List of Birmingham homicides in 2013
This is a List of Birmingham homicides in 2013. It includes homicide cases occurring within the city limits during the calendar year. Note that a "homicide" refers to the cause of death as determined by a medical examiner, not to the commission of the crime of murder as charged by police and prosecutors.
A total of 67 homicides were reported in the city during the year. Based on the 2012 census estimate of 212,038 population, that would represent 31.6 homicides per 100,000 population. Birmingham had 78 homicides in 2012, a record low of 64 in both 2010 and 2011, and a record high of 141 in 1992.
The city averaged 5.6 homicides per month, or one every 5.45 days. There were 5 incidents in January, 3 in February, 9 in March, 4 in April, 6 in May, 14 in June, 2 in July, 6 in August, 4 in September, 7 in October, 2 in November, and 5 in December. The longest stretches without a homicide were the 19 days between January 20 and February 8 and between June 30 and July 18. Sixteen deaths were reported on Sundays, 7 on Mondays, 5 on Tuesdays, 5 on Wednesdays, 8 on Thursdays, 13 on Fridays and 13 on Saturdays.
Of the 67 reported homicides, suspects have been identified in 44 cases, apprehended in 38, and charged in 35. Two deaths have resulted in convictions.
One suspect was found dead on the scene and another died of apparent suicide. Three homicides were ruled justifiable by prosecutors, 1 was dismissed as self-defense by a judge, and 1 other case was ruled accidental. Not counting those, the police department acknowledged 62 murders in its own tabulation for the year, and lists 21 of them as "unsolved". 4 of the chargeable homicides were caused by reckless driving rather than malice aforethought.
At least 51 of the 66 reported homicides were shootings, 4 were stabbings, 1 was strangulation, 1 was a fatal beating, and 4 resulted from auto collisions. Thirty-five incidents took place on the streets, 3 in parking lots, 2 at businesses, 1 at a public park, 1 at a motel, and 31 at private homes. 10 deaths occurred in the North Precinct, 15 in the South Precinct, 17 in the East Precinct, and 25 in the West Precinct. Four deaths were the result of reckless driving, 8 originated as domestic arguments, and 7 were the result of robberies. 60 victims were male (52 of them black) and 7 were female (6 of them black). 1 death was caused by a stray bullet. Seven victims were minors.
 Listing by date
- January 6: Kayla Nicole Jackson, 21, was killed along with her son in an auto collision on the overpass at Jefferson Avenue and 24th Street Southwest. Her husband, Brandon Levoy Davis, pleaded guilty to manslaughter and was sentenced to two 20 year sentences with 3 and 4 years to serve, consecutively. (report)
- January 6: Zion Milik Jackson, 3, was killed in the same collision.
- January 10: Dorelayn Rachell Pate, 46, and Charisse Michelle Hearns, 48, long-time roommates, were found dead in their home at 1336 Americana Drive in Winewood after an apparent murder-suicide. (report)
- January 14: James Burke McConnell, 44, was found shot to death in a car parked in an alley near the El Centarrio night club on the 1100 block of 3rd Avenue West. Investigators initially believed the gunshot might have been self-inflicted, but it was later ruled a homicide. McConnell was apparently soliciting for a prostitute when he was targeted for robbery and murder. Bridgett Bradley and William Brown were charged with capital murder. (report)
- January 20: Demetrius Edward Thompson, 43, was found shot to death in the yard of his house at 9113 14th Avenue North in Airport Hills. The shooter was not charged because he acted in self-defense. (report)
- February 8: Andrew Martin, 22, was found dead from a gunshot wound in his car at the intersection of 41st Street North and Messer Airport Highway in North Avondale. No arrest. (report)
- February 17: Oscar Wayne Johnson, 22, was shot to death in a drive-by on the 10 block of 17th Street North which followed an altercation at the Downtown Lounge across the street from Birmingham Police Headquarters. Police and off-duty officers in the area fired at the suspects and chased their car to the 2400 block of 1st Avenue North. Major Pasley and Antonio Woodard were arrested and charged with capital murder. Those charges were later reduced to intentional murder. (report)
- February 23: Nabarro Radford, 23, was found shot to death on the 800 block of 45th Street North. No arrest. (report)
- March 1: Derrick King, 31, was shot to death in front of a house at 517 10th Court North following an argument about a cell phone. Stanley Brent Chatman, recently released from prison for a 2005 manslaughter, was arrested and charged. (report)
- March 3: Herbert Jolley, 88, was found dead inside his house at 213 11th Avenue Southwest. No arrest. (report)
- March 4: Antawon Cowans, 23, was shot in his car near the intersection of Georgia Road and Joppa Avenue in Gate City. He was pronounced dead on arrival at UAB Hospital. Charles Gregory was arrested and charged with capital murder. (report)
- March 9: Adam Morrow, 33, was found shot to death inside a Ford Crown Victoria on the 6200 block of 4th Court North following a robbery. Derrick Allen and Eric Rahmaan were arrested and charged with capital murder. (report)
- March 17: Jarmaine Walton, 15, was critically wounded by gunfire near the skating bowls at downtown's Railroad Park and died the next day at St Vincent's Birmingham. Justin Jones was arrested on April 30 and charged with murder. (report)
- March 21: David Crutcher, 39, of Cincinnati, Ohio, was found dead on the 8400 block of 8th Avenue South. Gerald Gilmore, imprisoned on another charge, was charged with capital murder in July. (report)
- March 21: Isaac Thomas, 26, was found shot to death in a doorway at 110 Roosevelt Courtway Southwest. No arrest. (report)
- March 23: Nazario Boykins, 2, was killed by gunfire that left his mother seriously wounded. She named her brother, Andre Boykins, Jr, as the shooter and he was captured in Prattville and charged with capital murder. (report)
- March 24; Remad Lamar Chiles, 25, was shot to death on the 1900 block of Jackson Avenue Southwest. The shooting was ruled justified as self-defense. (report)
- April 5: Jonathon Rodriguez Cole, 22, was shot to death at the Garden Inn at 7901 Crestwood Boulevard. Gregory Kelley was arrested on May 31 in Memphis, Tennessee and charged with murder. (report)
- April 12: Percy Coleman, 45, was shot and killed in his home at 1408 30th Street Ensley. Reports of a previous domestic dispute led investigators to take his wife into custody for questioning. No charges have been filed. (report)
- April 20: Clarence McConnico, 57, was stabbed in an apparent domestic dispute at 313 15th Court North. He was taken to UAB Hospital where he succumbed to his injuries. George Blackmon turned himself in to police at the scene and was charged with murder. (report)
- April 29: Sheri Williams, 28, was killed in the doorway of an apartment at 7563 64th Court Way South in Gate City. Her son had gone outside to try to break up a fight originating at a nearby store. She was struck by a bullet intended for him. Corderious McLellan was arrested and charged with murder. (report)
- May 2: Warrant Tyreese Gunn, 33, was gunned down inside his residence at 808 Heritage Drive in Roebuck. Orlando Spencer was arrested in November and charged with capital murder. (report)
- May 6: Birl Jackson, 59, was shot to death in his pickup truck in the parking lot of Zion Star Missionary Baptist Church at 254 3rd Avenue Southwest in Southwest Birmingham. Donovan Scott Burk and Adrian Dunning were arrested and charged with capital murder. Burk admitted to pulling the trigger during a robbery for drug money (report)
- May 14: Ashley Lane, 37, was found dead at 2nd Avenue North and 50th Street in Woodlawn. No arrest. (report)
- May 17: Arthur Green III, 22, the brother of 2007 murder victim Kenneth Holmes, was found fatally wounded by gunshot, sitting in his car on the 1200 block of Rayfield Drive in Southwest Birmingham. The incident appears to have involved a robbery attempt. No arrest. (report)
- May 21: Lederius Maurice Peoples, 27, a suspected member of a drug ring operating from Hueytown, was wounded in a shooting on the 1600 block of Avenue T in Ensley. He died later at UAB Hospital. Rodney Rice was arrested in June and indicted in September for his murder. (report)
- May 23: Carlos Mims, 20, was shot to death during a domestic disturbance at 729 23rd Street Southwest. Christopher Gunn was arrested at the scene and charged with murder. (report)
- June 5: Manquel Mertez Whittsett, 38, was found shot on the 100 block of Leaf Lake Boulevard off Lakeshore Parkway. He was pronounced dead after being transported to UAB Hospital. No arrest. (report)
- June 16: Jerone Lebarge Murphy, 29, was shot to death at 1st Street Southwest and Tuscaloosa Avenue. Antonio Williams was arrested on July 21 and charged with capital murder (report)
- June 19: Lysander Perryman, 62, was shot to death outside the M & N Grocery on the 2400 block of Pearson Avenue Southwest. Investigators ruled that the shooting was justifiable self-defense and filed no charges. (report)
- June 20: Corey Eric Jordan, 26, was shot to death in apartment 6 at 2964 Gallant Drive in the Valley Brook Apartments off Center Point Parkway. Abdo Zawkri, 21, who was dating the same woman as Jordan, was found critically injured with a gunshot wound to the stomach. Investigators said that Zawkri fired into the closed door of the apartment after Jordan, who was inside, had shot him. After the shooting, people in the vicinity went through his pockets and car. The murder weapon was stolen and later sold in Gate City. Zawkri survived, and was arrested and charged with capital murder. In November, Judge Tommy Nail dismissed the charges as "a clear-cut case of self-defense." (report)
- June 22: An unidentified male was shot to death at the intersection of Alameda Avenue and 17th Way Southwest. No arrest.
- June 22: Jeremy Dwight Edwards, 26, was found shot to death in the back yard of a house at 1117 Cotton Avenue Southwest. Rayah Easterling, a friend of Edwards' who had been in an argument with him, was later found dead, apparently from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, behind the Kangaroo service station at 3640 Lorna Road in Hoover. (report)
- June 23: Katie Mae Lucas, 46, was found strangled to death in her apartment at 136 59th Street North. Her boyfriend, Montrail Russell, was arrested in Cleburne County on another charge and later charged with capital murder. (report)
- June 24: An unidentified male was found shot to death on the sidewalk on the 2800 block of Wilson Road Southwest. No arrest.
- June 24: Catina Skipper, 37, a transient, was found shot to death in a ditch in the alley behind a home at 216 83rd Street North near East Lake Park. No arrest. (report)
- June 24: Joe Hays, 36, was found shot to death inside a house at 636 84th Street South. His wife turned herself in and claimed the shooting was accidental, having occurred during an argument over the dedication of their daughter at church. While the parents were arguing, the toddler picked up a pistol. The mother went to take it out of her hands, and shot her husband attempting to activate the safety. The couple's 12-year-old daughter corroborated the story and no charges were filed. (report)
- June 25: Edwin Wayne, 19, was shot to death outside Justin's Convenience Store on 12th Street West in Rising-West Princeton. Suspect Robert Fitts fled on foot was arrested and charged the following day. (report)
- June 28: Jonathan Berry, 17, was shot, along with his twin brother, at their home at 736 Attalla Street in Wylam. Stanley Chatman, the suspected shooter, also charged with the March shooting of Derrick King, was arrested and charged with capital murder. Crystal Nelson, accused of aiding Chatman, was arrested and charged with felony murder. Dayjuan Tuggle and Quentin Nixon were arrested later and charged with capital murder, but those charges were dropped in March 2014. Additional capital murder charges were filed against Terrell Corey McMullin in April 2014. (report)
- June 28: Jeremi Berry, 17, was shot, along with his twin brother, at their home at 736 Attalla Street in Wylam. (See above)
- June 30: William Leonard Radney, 69, was found inside a burning house at 505 63rd Street South.Olivia Doutly was arrested and charged with felony murder. (report)
- July 18: Montez Deantwan Leatherwood, 24, was shot to death in his 1993 Cadillac in the parking lot for an apartment complex on the 500 block of 35th Street Ensley. Marlon Arrington was arrested in late September and charged with capital murder. (report)
- July 24: Christopher Johnson, 44, was found shot to death in his pick-up truck after it crashed into a yard in the 1100 block of John J. Eagan Drive. No arrest. (report)
- August 4: Sara Aletha Mitchell, 20, who was reported missing from her home on July 31, was found dead outside a Rite Aid pharmacy on U.S. Highway 78 in Oxford. Her former boyfriend, Justin Clarence McConico, was arrested and charged with capital murder. (report)
- August 10: Justin Golden, 22, was found shot in the parking lot of the Hong Kong Convenience Store at 1101 3rd Avenue West. He was taken to UAB Hospital, but was pronounced dead on arrival. No arrest. (report)
- August 18: Justin Kindred, 23, was found shot to death in a wrecked vehicle at 44th Place North and 8th Avenue North. William Golden was arrested and charged with capital murder. (report)
- August 24: Chance Silver, 26, was found dead at 325 Springs Avenue off U.S. Highway 280. No arrest. (report)
- August 24: Keith Hargrove, 36, was shot to death at 916 5th Street West in College Hills. No arrest. (report)
- August 30: John Mullins, 55, was stabbed in the back on the 500 block of 41st Street North. James Johnson was arrested and charged with felony murder. (report)
- September 5: Timothy Briant, 16, was stabbed in the neck during an argument on the sidewalk on the 2700 block of 29th Avenue North. A suspect, who fled on Bryant's bicycle, was taken into custody. (report)
- September 14: Devery Bell, 25, was found shot to death at an apartment at 737 Barcelona Court off Valley Avenue. Another man was wounded. No charges have been filed. (report)
- September 20: James Belyeu, 54, died at UAB Hospital from wounds suffered when he was beaten at his apartment at 1407 17th Avenue South following a domestic argument the previous weekend. Robert Buddenhagen was arrested and charged with murder. (report)
- September 20: Derrick Phillips, 23, was shot to death in an upstairs unit at Connemara Parc Apartments on the 3600 block of Clairmont Avenue. The apartment was allegedly being used to make methamphetamine. (report)
- October 2: Emanuel Powell, 22, was stabbed to death on the 4300 block of Jackson Street. Lorenzo Billingsley was arrested and charged with murder. (report)
- October 5: William Daniels, 31, was found fatally wounded by gunshot in a wrecked car at 903 6th Avenue South. The shooting apparently occurred at 15 Graymont Avenue North. No arrest (report)
- October 19: Rashaad Cole, 10, was killed and four others injured when the SUV they were riding in crashed through the fence of Brother's Recycling at 1620 Vanderbilt Road at 12:46 AM. Sherita Harvey, the driver, was intoxicated. She was charged with murder with reckless indifference, assault, aggravated child abuse and three counts of felony child abuse in the incident. (report)
- October 27: Benjamin Sloan, 31, was found shot to death in an SUV on the 300 block of 83rd Street North. No arrest. (report)
- October 27: Juan Di-Mayuga, 5, was killed when he was riding, un-restrained, in the front passenger seat of a car being driven by his father, Rubio Trejo Uvaldo. Uvaldo did not have legal custody of his son and was in the process of abducting him when other family members gave chase and the car crashed into a tree in the parking lot of an apartment complex on the 700 block of Springville Road. Di-Mayuga was taken to Children's Hospital where he was pronounced dead. Uvaldo was charged with murder, aggravated child abuse and leaving the scene of an accident involving injury or death. He was captured in Georgia and briefly escaped from Cobb County Jail before being extradited. He also faces charges related to his escape attempt. (report)
- October 31: Tywaun Theon Perkins, 33, was shot and killed while pumping gas at the Exxon station at 1st Street and 6th Avenue South in Titusville South. No arrest. (report)
- October 31: Maurice Lee, 38, who was found shot in the head inside a wrecked stolen car on the 900 block of 46th Street North in Kingston, succumbed to his wounds at UAB Hospital. No arrest. (report)
- November 3: Carlos Davis, 48, was found shot to death at 6100 Court O in Green Acres after a reported fight. Davis' girlfriend's son, Joseph Barnes, was arrested and charged with murder. (report)
- November 15: An unnamed male was found dead in a home on the 2700 block of 23rd Street Ensley. No arrest. (report)
- December 3: An unnamed male was shot to death on the 4200 block of 3rd Avenue South in Avondale. No arrest. (report)
- December 8: Donald Stallworth, 56, was shot at 2420 Pearson Avenue Southwest during an argument with his roommate about what to watch on television. He died later at UAB Hospital. Quinton Jackson surrendered to police and was charged with murder. (report)
- December 10: James Francis Williams, 24, was shot to death during a gunfight on the 1300 block of Americana Drive in Sun Valley. No arrest. (report)
- December 20: Jeffery Burkes, 27, was found fatally shot on the 1600 block of Alabama Avenue. No arrest. (report)
- December 21: Quintin Long, 22, was found shot to death at 33rd Street and Avenue E, Ensley after a dispute over a drug deal. Eugene Hale, out on bond on a drug paraphernalia charge, was arrested and charged with capital murder. Amber Nicole Harris was also arrested and charged. (report)
After a particularly violent eight-day stretch in June, Police Chief A. C. Roper expressed grief for the victims and their families, pledged that his department would do all it could to bring the perpetrators to justice, and emphasized the importance of personal choice and community efforts to reduce violence in the city.
- Robinson, Carol (June 24, 2013) "Seven violent deaths in the last eight days: Birmingham Police Chief A.C. Roper issues statement." The Birmingham News
- Porter, Gates (August 7, 2013) "Murder in the Magic City" Weld for Birmingham
- Robinson, Carol (January 1, 2014) "Birmingham ends 2013 with drop in killings." The Birmingham News
 External links
- Slayings in the Birmingham area, 2013 by al.com on Google Maps